1.12.2009

Juliette Lewis






• All that schooling never prepares you for the reality of life.
• I've been drug-free for ten years and I resent, especially in the rock 'n' roll world, the 'tell us some drugs and sex stories' attitude, It's real boring. It's not radical to take drugs anymore...there are no more excuses.
• Just 'cause I'm in the same age bracket as Johnny Depp and Leo Dicaprio doesn't mean we all screw together.
• What I get in rock 'n' roll that I don't get in movies is that connection with people. With music it's instantaneous, and just to watch people light up, it's really amazing. I love that connection.
• I don't make an effort to be sloppy. I just don't consider a perfect hairdo and a perfect face to be beautiful. If I had my way I'd dress myself and do my own makeup for magazine shoots.
• What I get in rock 'n' roll that I don't get in movies is that connection with people. With music it's instantaneous, and just to watch people light up, it's really amazing. I love that connection.
• Do you all know who Juliette and the Licks are? We're all just a bunch of actors! We act like we're in a band.
• It was traumatic and lovely, ... My character is always trying to get his attention, and I think she feels connected to him because the town judges her for whatever reason and thinks she's a trollop, a tramp, whatever you want to call her.
• I knew I could live no other way, that the one thing I wanted was to act and do it well.
• I just couldn't say no. The material is so provocative and visceral that I'm really excited to do it.
• I think I can be beautiful with all the little stuff done, and I can be ugly. A lot of attractive actresses can't be ugly.
• We have some mutual friends in common in the skate-rebel-punk-weird world.
• I try to bring a fearlessness to it. It makes sense that I do music. I have a really solid band. I have to do this and I'm not going to stop so I don't even care. Whoever wants to talk shit, so be it. I say: bring it on!
• The thing is, I want to play real characters and not all girls can be pretty. The thing is, you get these girls who say 'I'm a character actor' then you see them in a role and nothing has really changed but the outfit.
• I always look to play complicated characters. I like to emote. When I play a part, I like to portray what the inside of a character is, and often it's in conflict with the outside. I like that challenge.
• Like everybody I have many different sides.
• You know I've done some really embarrassing, cringey things by trying too hard. But it's only through experience that you learn to settle down and tone it down a notch, to just own it.
• As early as when I was five or six I wanted to perform.
• Being that we're both Method actors ... ... Basically it's like, 'Ten, nine, eight, seven — do we go out now? — six, five ...'
• The worst thing you can do to a kid is tell them that their dreams are invalid.
• I don't want to be famous as a movie star and have the whole world love me, I want to be a creative actress.
• I collect clothes-they keep building and building. I buy them instead of having them washed.
• Fame can be just so annoying because people are so critical of you. You can't just say, 'hi'. You say hi and people whisper' man did you see the way she said hi? What an attitude.
• [about Scientology] I am no longer stuck in the bottomless pit of despair and apathy. Having achieved the state of Clear is the single most important thing that I've done for myself. It has allowed me to experience life in a way I only imagined.
• People say I'm cocky, but am I supposed to sit here and be insecure and not know where my future's going or not realize that moviemaking is the greatest thing to happen to me?
• Being beautiful can be a curse, especially if you want to be an artist and create.
• The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.
• I kind of imagine myself at eighty, a cat lady.
• Because I'm not perfect looking, I get to play better roles.
• I'm like a medium. The music just passes through me and it's electric, I can't help but get turned on.
• Success is a nice by-product but what I really want is work.

No comments:

Post a Comment